At last check, Jason Heyward was second in the National League in votes for the all-star game. Regardless of how the votes turn out, don’t expect Heyward to be on the field in Anaheim. That’s because he was placed on the disabled list yesterday to rest an injury to his left thumb that he sustained sliding into third base back on May 14th. He is not eligible to come off the DL until July 15 and the game is going to be played on July 13th.
- Thumb injuries as we all know our contagious. Victor Martinez is heading to the DL with one and Chase Utley had to leave yesterday’s game wtih one. No word on the severity of Utley’s injury, but it took place in the 4th inning on a slide and he did not come out until the 9th.
- Ricky Nolasco is finding his way after struggling since the middle of May. He still hasn’t had a start that he’s given up fewer than three runs since May 11th, but his WHIP is always the first thing to look for in seeing how well he’s pitching. Remember, he was the Marlins best pitcher – not Josh Johnson - after the all-star break last year.
- The Diamondbacks made two errors in the bottom of the 9th spoiling another win for Dan Haren and another save opportunity for Aaron Heilman.
- For the second straight outing, Ubaldo Jimenez gave up a bunch of runs late in his start. Walks were an issue.
- Jason Bay hit one-third of his season’s home runs in Puerto Rico yesterday. Mike Stanton has hit one-half of his major league home runs there.
- The Angels wouldn’t be a good fit for Adam Dunn or more like Adam Dunn wouldn’t be a good fit for the Angels because of the emphasis that Mike Scioscia places on defense.
- Bud Norris gave up a long ball to Ryan Braun in his return to the Astros, but did have 6 strikeouts to only one walk in 6 innings. If the Astros were a better team and Norris could work his way into the 6th and 7th innings more frequently (both aren’t likely to happen this year) he would hold similar value to Matt Garza.
- Matt Holliday is 1 for 15 over his last four games. He has hit clean up in all four of those games. He hit .400 while hitting second and slugged .850.
- Mike Gonzalez could be activated before Baltimore’s next road trip, but he isn’t pitching well in his rehab right now so don’t get too excited. Plus the Orioles have to win games for him to have value. USC is more likely to win a bowl game before that happens.
- Carlos Marmol has really started to slide down hill this month. The big issue coming into the season for him was if he could control the strikezone and through May he had a 49 to 15 strikeout to walk rate. This month that’s 14 to 10 (including 6 walks in his last 3 innings), and yesterday he gave up the game winning hit to Jose Tabata.
- It’s not all bad for the Carlos name. Carlos Beltran played 9 innings for the first time in his rehab and Carlos Quentin homered for the White Sox’ only run.
- It’s not all bad for the Jair name either. Jair Jurrjens should be activated today because he will start tomorrow. All other Jairs are not safe to own though.
We’ve moved to FantasyBaseball365!
We're excited to announce that FBHotStove will be teaming up with FantasyBaseball365 to provide the best daily fantasy baseball content on the web.
This means that all new FBHotStove content will now be posted and can be viewed on www.fantasybaseball365.com.
You can catch all our new posts at:
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Recent Comments on FBHS
- LynchMob on Fantasy Pioneers Okrent, Waggoner, and Wolf Should Be in Cooperstown
- Lincoln on Jordan Walden Taking Over as Closer
- iq test on Torii Hunter Player Projection No. 92
- Discount Viagra online - Viagra discount coupon codes for all the customers! on Daily Notes | Is Matt Joyce for real?
- Yuri on Top 50 Players in Yahoo for July
Check out the Yardbarker Network!
Browse the FBHS Archives
- November 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (19)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (33)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (36)
- April 2011 (29)
- March 2011 (43)
- February 2011 (28)
- January 2011 (31)
- December 2010 (29)
- November 2010 (30)
- October 2010 (20)
- September 2010 (32)
- August 2010 (31)
- July 2010 (33)
- June 2010 (35)
- May 2010 (34)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (40)
- February 2010 (27)
- January 2010 (31)
- December 2009 (33)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (26)
- September 2009 (33)
- August 2009 (34)
- July 2009 (41)
- June 2009 (39)
- May 2009 (35)
- April 2009 (39)
- March 2009 (31)
- February 2009 (28)
- January 2009 (31)
- December 2008 (32)
- November 2008 (31)
- October 2008 (2)