If the Nationals are painting an accurate picture of what happened and there is nothing seriously wrong with Stephen Strasburg after he was scratched from his start against the Braves last night, perhaps this will be something that helps fantasy teams in the long run. The Nationals are not expected to have Strasburg pitch much more than 100 innings or so this season anyway. For head to head leagues this could mean one more start in September when playoffs are going on. For rotisserie leagues it means that his bullets were saved for a start when he was feeling strong out of the gates. The dynamic is different with a guy like Strasburg or Phil Hughes where innings pitched is of primary concern. Of course for the 40,000 plus fans that showed up to watch him it was not the best news to hear.
- Strasburg wasn’t the only player that never saw the field yesterday. Chris Coghlan hurt his knee after attempting to throw a pie in Wes Helm’s face after the Marlins win. He is definitely worth dropping and Cameron Maybin could eventually work his way back into the Marlins outfield although he is just recovering from injury as well. Huston Street had to be taken off the field by ambulence hours before the Rockies game. Coghlan’s injury could mean that he is finished for the season. Street’s injury is still unclear, but it opens the door for Rafael Bettancourt and Joe Beimel among others.
- Josh Tomlin had a run of eight consecutive quality starts at Columbus, so the Indians decided he was ready to face the best team in baseball. He proved up to the task holding the defending champions to three hits and walking none in 7 innings.
- Dan Haren’s X-rays came up negative and he could pitch on Saturday.
- I wouldn’t trust Ken Williams to listen, but it sounds like the White Sox players and manager don’t want an upgrade at the trade deadline.
- Mark Reynolds hit his 24th home run of the season, but he’s going to fall well short of his terrific 2009 season. The most drastic difference between the two seasons is not the four percent increase in strikeouts or the fact that he’s on pace to hit five less home runs. It’s the steals. Reynolds has is on pace to steal just one-third of the bases he stole in 2009.
- Andrew Bailey was unavailable for a fifth straight day with back spasms. Michael Wuertz will likely be the guy, but he gave up a game winning home run to Nelson Cruz yesterday. Stay tuned.
- “He’s been a model of consistency.” – Lou Pinella on Ted Lilly. Those sound like parting words after Lilly struck out 8, but was outlasted by another pitcher that could be dealt in Brett Myers.
- Yovani Gallardo did not have his best stuff yesterday against the Reds and knew it.
- Andre Ethier was sick going into yesterday’s game, but that didn’t stop him from hitting a pinch hit home run and eventually winning the game for the Dodgers.
- Jason Bay could be out a week or more with a concussion. The injury Bay claimed was a delayed reaction to running into the wall last week.
- Scouts from the Mariners, Dodgers, and Angels were watching Glen Perkins’ start at AAA last night. He was impressive – pitching 7 innings and allowing one run.
- Troy Tulowitzki was hitless in 4 at-bats in his return for Colorado, but did hit the ball well a couple of times. He had an error in the 6th inning but looked good starting a double play to get Jorge De La Rosa out of a bases load jam.
- Mike Lowell homered three times for AAA Pawtucket last night. The Tigers and Rangers have some interest.
We’ve moved to FantasyBaseball365!
We're excited to announce that FBHotStove will be teaming up with FantasyBaseball365 to provide the best daily fantasy baseball content on the web.
This means that all new FBHotStove content will now be posted and can be viewed on www.fantasybaseball365.com.
You can catch all our new posts at:
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Check out the Yardbarker Network!
Browse the FBHS Archives
- November 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (19)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (33)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (36)
- April 2011 (29)
- March 2011 (43)
- February 2011 (28)
- January 2011 (31)
- December 2010 (29)
- November 2010 (30)
- October 2010 (20)
- September 2010 (32)
- August 2010 (31)
- July 2010 (33)
- June 2010 (35)
- May 2010 (34)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (40)
- February 2010 (27)
- January 2010 (31)
- December 2009 (33)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (26)
- September 2009 (33)
- August 2009 (34)
- July 2009 (41)
- June 2009 (39)
- May 2009 (35)
- April 2009 (39)
- March 2009 (31)
- February 2009 (28)
- January 2009 (31)
- December 2008 (32)
- November 2008 (31)
- October 2008 (2)