In the desperate times of finding players to fill middle infield openings, Jayson Nix is a player with eligibility at three different infield positions who is as hot as a player can be right now with 5 home runs in 5 games. Nix has never been a great player, but his 2009 with the White Sox showed he had potential if playing time came to him with 12 home runs and 10 steals in only a half of season’s worth of at-bats. With so many borderline players already owned at the position, dropping one of the colder hitters to pick up Nix makes a good deal of sense.
- In the year of the pitcher, a night like last night is refreshing. There were 46 home runs hit in Major League Baseball. The only game that did not feature a home run was the Angels/White Sox game. The hot weather on the east coast is obviously having an impact, so in evaluating these hot streaks, keep that in mind.
- Adam Dunn hit three. The price just went up for him as the trade deadline closes.
- Buster Posey hit two including a grand slam and wasn’t retired in five plate appearances. He has 4 home runs, 8 runs, and 9 RBI since Bengie Molina was traded. He was the Giants first baseman yesterday which only adds to his value since he won’t get as many days off.
- Matt Holliday hit two and scored four runs scored. He has three in his last two games. Think he misses Coors Field?
- Martin Prado hit two and had his 14th game with three hits this season – best in baseball. Prado also leads all of baseball in multi-hit games by four games!
- Casey Kotchman hit two for Seattle. It’s been a long year for him, but with three home runs in four games things are looking up.
- The Rockies hit a walk-off for the second straight game against the Cardinals. They also overcame a deficit of five runs or more for the second straight game. Chris Iannetta did the honors last night and has homered in three straight games and four of six himself. Not bad value for teams looking for a catcher (there’s a lot of you out there I’m sure).
- Evan Longoria hit his first home run in 78 at-bats for the Rays.
- Aramis Ramirez hit his third home run in two games for the Cubs. The blasts have come in Chase Field, the easiest park to hit home runs out of in baseball, but I’m still picking him up where he’s available.
- My favorite rookie is justifying his promotion just in time. Mike Stanton has homered on back to back nights, when his numbers were beginning to look worthy of a demotion.
- There was one shut out last night thrown by Josh Johnson. He is now the top ranked pitcher by Yahoo and trails only Adam Wainwright in ESPN’s player rater on the season.
- Not all sluggers had great days at the office. Justin Morneau had to leave the Twins game after taking a knee to the head. Kevin Youkilis had his ankle retaped several times during the Red Sox game and went 0 for 5 with a noticeable limp.
- Jonathan Papelbon appeared in the 7th inning and Matt Garza came out of the bullpen to close the game for the Rays in the 9th yesterday. Don’t read into it.
We’ve moved to FantasyBaseball365!
We're excited to announce that FBHotStove will be teaming up with FantasyBaseball365 to provide the best daily fantasy baseball content on the web.
This means that all new FBHotStove content will now be posted and can be viewed on www.fantasybaseball365.com.
You can catch all our new posts at:
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Check out the Yardbarker Network!
Browse the FBHS Archives
- November 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (19)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (33)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (36)
- April 2011 (29)
- March 2011 (43)
- February 2011 (28)
- January 2011 (31)
- December 2010 (29)
- November 2010 (30)
- October 2010 (20)
- September 2010 (32)
- August 2010 (31)
- July 2010 (33)
- June 2010 (35)
- May 2010 (34)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (40)
- February 2010 (27)
- January 2010 (31)
- December 2009 (33)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (26)
- September 2009 (33)
- August 2009 (34)
- July 2009 (41)
- June 2009 (39)
- May 2009 (35)
- April 2009 (39)
- March 2009 (31)
- February 2009 (28)
- January 2009 (31)
- December 2008 (32)
- November 2008 (31)
- October 2008 (2)