Ivan Nova was up for two appearances earlier this season in the Yankees bullpen. He was effective in both appearances, but returned to AAA anyway. As the Yankees added Kerry Wood at the deadline rather than a starting pitcher, keeping Nova stretched out in the minors has turned out to be a very wise decision. Of course Brian Cashman would hope that Andy Pettitte was healthy, and that A.J. Burnett and Javier Vazquez would not have an ERA over 7.00 in August. That isn’t the case and as the numbers would have it, nobody who has made a start for the Yankees this month has a better WHIP than Nova – not even C.C. Sabathia.
Nova’s numbers in AAA were good this season. Overall his ERA was in the 2s and his WHIP was respectable at 1.26. His strikeout numbers were average. Things were getting progressively better though right before his call up. Nova had allowed one or zero earned runs in five of his last six starts before the call up. Yesterday Nova did not have a runner get to second base until the fifth inning.
Joe Girardi has already indicated that the Yankees are going to give him at least one more start, and why not. With Pettitte due back in possibly two weeks, it will be interesting to see what happens if Nova continues to outpitch his veteran teammates at that time.
- I went away this weekend and stayed away from the internet, but the television did have one story I couldn’t miss. This is my first post since the news that Stephen Strasburg was going to need Tommy John Surgery. I hope to write a little more on this topic later this week, but my first reaction to this news is what White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said one month ago. Strasburg might be the next Mark Prior.
- Ryan Raburn hit two home runs yesterday hitting in front of Miguel Cabrera. Raburn has hit more home runs (8) than Cabrera (7) in August.
- Jered Weaver struck out 11 yesterday and is the first pitcher to 200 strikeouts this season. It was the fifth double digit strikeout game of the season for Weaver who already has a career high in strikeouts.
- Mike Stanton is 1 for his last 37. That could change some of the long term decisions that his owners make after the season. Remember that he is 20 years old. I still think he’s a fine keeper.
- Tough day for superstar shortstop in the National League. Both Troy Tulowitzki (groin) and Hanley Ramirez (light-headednes) were removed from their games.
- The Red Sox claimed Mike Napoli off of waivers, but it’s doubtful that a deal will be made between the two teams.
- For the fifth time in 9 games, Ryan Braun had a multi-hit game. He was 4 for 4 yesterday with a home run. This has been Braun’s worst season to date, but perhaps a hot finish will still make him a top fifteen player by the end of the season.
- Manny Ramirez has always been a good hitter at U.S. Cellular Field. He has an OPS of 1.049 there over 59 career games. The player that will suffer most from Manny’s arrival will be Andruw Jones, but there is a good chance that Juan Pierre and Carlos Quentin will miss more time now too.
We’ve moved to FantasyBaseball365!
We're excited to announce that FBHotStove will be teaming up with FantasyBaseball365 to provide the best daily fantasy baseball content on the web.
This means that all new FBHotStove content will now be posted and can be viewed on www.fantasybaseball365.com.
You can catch all our new posts at:
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Recent Comments on FBHS
- iq test on Torii Hunter Player Projection No. 92
- Discount Viagra online - Viagra discount coupon codes for all the customers! on Daily Notes | Is Matt Joyce for real?
- Yuri on Top 50 Players in Yahoo for July
- Rhya on Daily Notes | Bartolo Colon’s Inevitable Poor Second Half
- Morpheus on Guest Expert Analysis | Pineda, Britton, or Drabek?
Check out the Yardbarker Network!
Browse the FBHS Archives
- November 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (19)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (33)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (36)
- April 2011 (29)
- March 2011 (43)
- February 2011 (28)
- January 2011 (31)
- December 2010 (29)
- November 2010 (30)
- October 2010 (20)
- September 2010 (32)
- August 2010 (31)
- July 2010 (33)
- June 2010 (35)
- May 2010 (34)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (40)
- February 2010 (27)
- January 2010 (31)
- December 2009 (33)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (26)
- September 2009 (33)
- August 2009 (34)
- July 2009 (41)
- June 2009 (39)
- May 2009 (35)
- April 2009 (39)
- March 2009 (31)
- February 2009 (28)
- January 2009 (31)
- December 2008 (32)
- November 2008 (31)
- October 2008 (2)