Yesterday on this very blog, I made the case that Brandon Belt should be playing after crushing Triple-A and take over for the under-performing Aubrey Huff. One day later, Belt is in the lineup and Huff is starting on the bench. Obviously we’ve learned that Bruce Bochy and Brian Sabean are readers. Knowing just how great of an influence the blog is having on the world I thought about making today’s post about the importance of recycling or how to trim the federal deficit, but then I realized Huff was 2 for 15 in his career off Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter. Probably just a standard day off rather than a drastic change in the make up of the defending champion and current NL West leader.
I still believe that Belt will eventually become an everyday player. You’ll recall that last year it took the Giants a little while to insert Buster Posey as the everyday catcher before he ultimately became their best player. There’s no telling if Belt is ready for that sort of start as well, but he certainly has the talent and has proven his worth in the minor leagues. Here’s a look at the numbers of the Giants current outfielders and Huff:
Huff – .219 AVG .278 OBP .337 SLG
Cody Ross – .234 AVG .322 OBP .383 SLG
Pat Burrell – .234 AVG .342 OBP .398 SLG (and a pathetic error tonight)
Andres Torres – .261 AVG .352 OBP .446 SLG
Aaron Rowand – .250 AVG .300 OBP .372 SLG
Nate Schierholtz - .253 AVG .302 OBP .434 SLG
By the looks of it, nobody’s job on this list should be safe (although Belt realistically couldn’t take center field). Belt didn’t have the best start to begin this year, but he should be better the second time around. Don’t miss out on the next NL’s version of Eric Hosmer if he’s available.
- Kris Medlin could be back and ready to start for the Braves in mid to late August.
- Ryan Howard was running with a noticeable limp down the first base line on a double play ball according to the broadcasters for the Nationals.
- Alfonso Soriano was placed on the 15-day DL with a left quad strain. The Cubs and Soriano don’t expect the injury to last longer than the 15 days. The Cubs recalled Tyler Colvin who has been one of the bigger disappointments among the potential breakout candidates for this season. Since his demotion to Iowa, Colvin hasn’t done much numbers wise to make you think he can helped mixed leagues.
- Chone Figgins will now get a couple days off according to Seattle manager Eric Wedge. This comes after Figgins got a day already this past week.
- While Figgins has struggled, Dustin Ackley has a .394 OBP at Triple-A Tacoma. Adam Kennedy and Jack Wilson’s time may be coming to an end.
- Brett Lawrie is destroying the ball at Triple-A. Over his last ten games, he has 6 home runs and a 1.436 OPS. That’s borderline pick him up now territory for mixed leagues and eat the “NA” eligibility if you have to.
- Ryan Zimmerman has started to play games in extended spring training. Despite the fact that he still feels pain when he throws, the Nationals expect him back in mid-June.
- Justin Morneau had a two home run game tonight. As a Morneau owner, I’ll admit before tonight he could have been bought for $0.20 on the $1 I paid for him. The price is up to $0.50 after tonight.
- John Lackey was solid in his rehab outing with Triple-A Pawtucket and could be back in the Red Sox rotation within the week assuming the elbow responds well.
We’ve moved to FantasyBaseball365!
We're excited to announce that FBHotStove will be teaming up with FantasyBaseball365 to provide the best daily fantasy baseball content on the web.
This means that all new FBHotStove content will now be posted and can be viewed on www.fantasybaseball365.com.
You can catch all our new posts at:
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Recent Comments on FBHS
- iq test on Torii Hunter Player Projection No. 92
- Discount Viagra online - Viagra discount coupon codes for all the customers! on Daily Notes | Is Matt Joyce for real?
- Yuri on Top 50 Players in Yahoo for July
- Rhya on Daily Notes | Bartolo Colon’s Inevitable Poor Second Half
- Morpheus on Guest Expert Analysis | Pineda, Britton, or Drabek?
Check out the Yardbarker Network!
Browse the FBHS Archives
- November 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (19)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (33)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (36)
- April 2011 (29)
- March 2011 (43)
- February 2011 (28)
- January 2011 (31)
- December 2010 (29)
- November 2010 (30)
- October 2010 (20)
- September 2010 (32)
- August 2010 (31)
- July 2010 (33)
- June 2010 (35)
- May 2010 (34)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (40)
- February 2010 (27)
- January 2010 (31)
- December 2009 (33)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (26)
- September 2009 (33)
- August 2009 (34)
- July 2009 (41)
- June 2009 (39)
- May 2009 (35)
- April 2009 (39)
- March 2009 (31)
- February 2009 (28)
- January 2009 (31)
- December 2008 (32)
- November 2008 (31)
- October 2008 (2)