Nick Swisher took a Jon Lester pitch to the gap in left center field in the fifth inning of the showdown between the Red Sox and Yankees. And in a rare moment this season, Swisher had a hit with runners on base (he’s now .210 in those situations) and two RBI. Hits haven’t just been coming hard for him with runners on. They have been hard to get period.
Looking into his numbers, the reason for Swisher’s demise in the early part of this season is hard to find. Comparing this year to last year when he was ranked 56th overall, all the numbers are very similar.
- His line drive rate is better than it was a year ago so far.
- His HR to FB ratio is worse than it has ever been which is simply a reflection on terrible luck.
- His fly ball rate is two tenths of a percentage point off of what it was a season ago.
- His strikeout rate is actually a little better so far this season.
About the only problems I find with Swisher is that his numbers were a little inflated last year due to a high BABIP and that he is struggling on the left side of the plate. That has me thinking that nights like tonight will come more frequently as his luck comes back around. Once he starts hitting will from the left side of the plate again, the power will come back. Swisher has just one home run at home despite playing in one of the better power parks for left-handers.
- Jemile Weeks (brother of Rickie) was called up and led off for the A’s.
- The Dodgers called up Dee Gordon (son of former pitcher “Flash”) and he will be the Dodgers everyday shortstop while Rafael Furcal is on the DL.
- “What Jason needs to realize is that Jason at 80 percent is a force, and Jason at 80 percent is better than a lot of people in this league. And that there are a bunch of his teammates that are out there playing with discomfort and not healthy, and still going at it.” – Chipper Jones on Jason Heyward who was eligible to come off the DL today. Sounds to me like he is calling out a teammate.
- The Nationals organization is essentially looking the other way after Bryce Harper kissed the opposing pitcher on a home run last night. They claim he’s just a kid.
- Brian Roberts is at least two weeks away from beginning baseball activities.
We’ve moved to FantasyBaseball365!
We're excited to announce that FBHotStove will be teaming up with FantasyBaseball365 to provide the best daily fantasy baseball content on the web.
This means that all new FBHotStove content will now be posted and can be viewed on www.fantasybaseball365.com.
You can catch all our new posts at:
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Recent Comments on FBHS
- LynchMob on Fantasy Pioneers Okrent, Waggoner, and Wolf Should Be in Cooperstown
- Lincoln on Jordan Walden Taking Over as Closer
- iq test on Torii Hunter Player Projection No. 92
- Discount Viagra online - Viagra discount coupon codes for all the customers! on Daily Notes | Is Matt Joyce for real?
- Yuri on Top 50 Players in Yahoo for July
Check out the Yardbarker Network!
Browse the FBHS Archives
- November 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (19)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (33)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (36)
- April 2011 (29)
- March 2011 (43)
- February 2011 (28)
- January 2011 (31)
- December 2010 (29)
- November 2010 (30)
- October 2010 (20)
- September 2010 (32)
- August 2010 (31)
- July 2010 (33)
- June 2010 (35)
- May 2010 (34)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (40)
- February 2010 (27)
- January 2010 (31)
- December 2009 (33)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (26)
- September 2009 (33)
- August 2009 (34)
- July 2009 (41)
- June 2009 (39)
- May 2009 (35)
- April 2009 (39)
- March 2009 (31)
- February 2009 (28)
- January 2009 (31)
- December 2008 (32)
- November 2008 (31)
- October 2008 (2)