Going into the season there was a little buzz around Peter Bourjos’ name as someone that was worth a late round flier. In just 51 games and 181 at-bats last year with the Halos he managed to hit 6 home runs and steal 10 bases. The batting average didn’t provide as much promise, but it was a short sample size and Bourjos’ .293 average in 5 minor league seasons demonstrated that he had promise to produce in that category as well. With older outfielders crowding the roster, the Angels wanted to play Bourjos everyday because of his offensive potential and the finished product that he was as a defender.
Unfortunately that late round flier turned into an early season bust. In April, Bourjos drew just 5 walks while striking out 28 times. He followed that up by hitting .176 in May. Through the first 196 at-bats of the season he had hit 3 home runs and stolen 6 bases – about half the production that he had exhibited in his cup of coffee the season before. His greatest contribution to the fantasy season was a hamstring injury that enabled the Angels to call up the best prospect in the American League – until recently.
Over the last month, Bourjos has been helping in four categories. He has 6 home runs, 4 steals, a .314 average, and 20 runs scored. He also has 7 walks to 17 strikeouts – a huge improvement over the player that he was in April. Given that the Angels are one of the few teams in the Majors still playing for something and that Bourjos can help in so many different ways, he deserves serious mixed league consideration.
- Stephen Strasburg gave up just 1 hit in 6 innings in what will be his final rehab start. And perhaps for one night next week, baseball will take precedent over football.
- Gavin Floyd’s WHIP in over 50 innings since the all-star game is under 1.00. He has only had one bad month all season.
- Jason Motte has not allowed an earned run in his last 20 appearances. Craig Kimbrel has not allowed an earned in his last 35 appearances.
- Hardly a surprise, but Carlos Zambrano’s season is over.
- Bill Plaschke believes that the Dodgers should have the Cy Young (Clayton Kershaw) and MVP (Matt Kemp) winners this season.
- Chipper Jones has 5 home runs in his last ten games.
- Seven players already have at least 20 home runs and 20 steals. Last year only seven players did it for the entire season.
- Josh Johnson’s return this season is very doubtful according to Marlins president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest. The situation with Hanley Ramirez who had a set back is not clear, but Beinfest is encouraged that it isn’t Hanley’s throwing shoulder.
- Jesus Guzman is hitting .409 at Petco. The Padres have recalled Anthony Rizzo with roster expansion, so it will be interesting to see what the Padres do at first base going forward.
We’ve moved to FantasyBaseball365!
We're excited to announce that FBHotStove will be teaming up with FantasyBaseball365 to provide the best daily fantasy baseball content on the web.
This means that all new FBHotStove content will now be posted and can be viewed on www.fantasybaseball365.com.
You can catch all our new posts at:
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Recent Comments on FBHS
- Lincoln on Jordan Walden Taking Over as Closer
- iq test on Torii Hunter Player Projection No. 92
- Discount Viagra online - Viagra discount coupon codes for all the customers! on Daily Notes | Is Matt Joyce for real?
- Yuri on Top 50 Players in Yahoo for July
- Rhya on Daily Notes | Bartolo Colon’s Inevitable Poor Second Half
Check out the Yardbarker Network!
Browse the FBHS Archives
- November 2011 (1)
- September 2011 (19)
- August 2011 (30)
- July 2011 (33)
- June 2011 (32)
- May 2011 (36)
- April 2011 (29)
- March 2011 (43)
- February 2011 (28)
- January 2011 (31)
- December 2010 (29)
- November 2010 (30)
- October 2010 (20)
- September 2010 (32)
- August 2010 (31)
- July 2010 (33)
- June 2010 (35)
- May 2010 (34)
- April 2010 (30)
- March 2010 (40)
- February 2010 (27)
- January 2010 (31)
- December 2009 (33)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (26)
- September 2009 (33)
- August 2009 (34)
- July 2009 (41)
- June 2009 (39)
- May 2009 (35)
- April 2009 (39)
- March 2009 (31)
- February 2009 (28)
- January 2009 (31)
- December 2008 (32)
- November 2008 (31)
- October 2008 (2)